Local Governments are smaller than state governments. They are held to the overseeing control of the state and federal government above them. But at the local level they are very powerful and provide citizens with most direct access to the political system.
Local governments typically control local services such as the police, fire departments, health districts and libraries. They oversee local transportation and road systems. In addition, they make laws and settle local disputes between citizens.
Watch this video that explains some of the structure of local government.
- Who is the leader of the executive branch at the local level?
- What are the duties of this position?
- What is the legislative branch?
- What are the duties of the City Manager?
- Why is it important to have a connection with the local levels of government?